Friday, November 26, 2010

We are thankful for you! And you are thankful for...

I loved and agree 100% with this Wall Street Journal article that compiled psychology research to find:
Adults who frequently feel grateful have more energy, more optimism, more social connections and more happiness than those who do not, according to studies conducted over the past decade. They're also less likely to be depressed, envious, greedy or alcoholics. They earn more money, sleep more soundly, exercise more regularly and have greater resistance to viral infections.
So let's give thanks!!

We asked you this week what you are thankful for in your life. We received so many thoughtful, poignant posts, we just had to share them. In the spirit of the holiday season, here is what you said!

Things I am thankful for:

  1. Coffee on Monday mornings- actually every morning but especially Mondays
  2. My bed’s down pillow top- so good; possibly the reason I need so much coffee to pull myself out of bed
  3. I have not traveled as much as I would like yet, so I have lots and lots of exploration and adventure left in my life
-Richie Ferrari
____________________________________

I am thankful for my incredible boyfriend
I am thankful for my amazing friends.
I am thankful for my family's health.

-Lisa Frissora

_____________________________________

I am thankful for my fantastic friends and family. -Liz Capone
_____________________________________
Have I told you about The Coffee Man on Newbury Street?

I gave a homeless man on my block a package of Starbucks Via instant coffees last week.
My morning routine sends me by his block every morning after the gym and on my way to begin my work day. Every morning he approaches me with his 10-second pitch: he is trying to get a cup of coffee and needs just one more quarter. I have looked straight ahead and walked right by this man for months. Not only did I ignore him, but he actually bugged me--I was bothered that before I could even begin the work day that I was rushing to get to, another person was standing stagnant on my corner, begging me to give up my own hard-earned quarters. One day it infuriated me so much that I ran a quick calculation; if I'd given this man one quarter every day for as long as we've shared a block in the Back Bay, I would have given him over 300 dollars. $300 dollars! I may as well go and buy him that pink cashmere Burberry scarf I've been saving for!

Last week, something changed. I believe it's as simple as this: for the first time, I caught the look in his eye when I shook my head "no" and kept walking. It wasn't anger or annoyance or defeat. He just looked ashamed.

Here was a man who wanted just a cup of coffee, a important ritual and part of every single day for me that I take absurdly for granted. I went back and gave him a dollar and a handful of Via instant coffee packets from my kitchen cabinet, something I'd imagine would be very useful for a homeless person: the chances of landing just a plain cup of hot water to mix it in on a cold day are probably good.

So, what am I thankful for?

Coffee. Yes, absolutely. But also a warm bed. Clothes on my back. That I was born into a life equipped with the basic provisions I needed to worry about bigger things than how I will land that last quarter for my cup of coffee today.

-Katy Rais


__________________________________________________

I’m grateful for many things: my health, my family, the good fortune to live in this country and to have had so many wonderful people cross my path through life.

-Andres Branger

__________________________________________________

I am thankful to have my Dietetic Internship placement!
I am thankful for all the wonderful girls in my nutrition program I have met I am thankful for having such a supportive and loving family

-Keating Simons

__________________________________________________________

Place your hand over your heart and connect to your inner self. Speak from your heart and give thanks :)
-Stephanie Cantillo

___________________________________________________________

I am thankful for being left handed, my family and friends, and that I live in a blue state.

-Phillip Spinks

___________________________________________________________

I am SO thankful for all the incredible women in my life. I am so blessed to be surrounded by strong, confident and beautiful women every day. From school, the rowing community, my GUILTLESS buddies, and at home, a better support network I could not ask for!

-Amanda Milad

__________________________________________________

I am thankful that I have freedom with food and will be intuitively eating at Thanksgiving this year. I am also thankful to have a wonderful and loving family
-Janet Zimmerman

___________________________________________________________

I am Thankful for finding where I belong in the world, and that is thanks to my friends, families, and teachers

- Mariel Boomgaardt

____________________________________________________________________
1. I am thankful for my education 2. I am thankful for my family 3. I am thankful for true friends and true love -Cynthia Dorta
_____________________________________________________________

1. i am thankful for my loving family, my caring boyfriend, and my beautiful friends. _Kara Lydon
_____________________________________________________________
I am thankful for all the people in my life that matter most: my family; my friends, old and new (and all the fab. people I've meant since starting Gourmet Recipes for One) and for being able to do what I love most each and every day: cook. -Karen Covey
______________________________________________________________
1.The opportunity to pursue (and finish!) my MS along with 7 other amazing women
2. For my comfortable, beautiful living space that makes me feel lucky every day
3. My supportive husband who makes me laugh all the time
4. Our two cats, Henry and Hagrid, who have more personality and charm than I lot of humans I've met
.... Can I keep going!?......
-Callie Gordon


Thank you and have a fantastic week!
What are you thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment