Monday, October 11, 2010

Graditude

by Elizabeth Jarrard
The amazing Ashley of Nourishing-the-Soul has started a new blog series called Self-Discovery, Word by Word. to encourage the blogging community to engage in meaningful self-reflection by focusing on just one word. The word for this Month is Gratitude. Read below for my input, and be sure to check out Ashley's website!


Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all others” With gratitude comes respect, and honor. Gratitude is definitely the correct attitude, and can really help to foster a positive attitude about your life. Taking the time to say thank you makes one appreciate the fullness and richness of life.

Today I am thankful for many things. I am thankful to wake up to watch the sunrise, surrounded by friends. I am quite sore (the Chicago Marathon was yesterday), but I am oh so thankful for me legs. Lactic Acid build up, muscle soreness, it's a good pain, and one that is a reminder to me of all the things my legs get me through. Knees scared, muscles tight, they are athletic and get me through mile after mile. I am thankful for my friends and family who have carried me through all my adventures in life, supporting my pursuits and being there when I need help on this journey called life.

I am going to remember to cultivate gratitude and tell those who matter to me how thankful I am for their love and support. I shall appreciate the little moments, and greet each sunrise with appreciation. I shall try to start back at my Gratitude Journal, by writing down one thing I am grateful before I turn off the light at night. In the words of Oprah;

“The single greatest thing you can do to change your life today would be to start being grateful for what you have right now. And the more grateful you are, the more you get.”

What are you grateful for?

3 comments:

  1. This is such a wonderful post! I love that you can take what we usually consider painful (lactic acid!!!) and put a positive spin on it. Congratulations on your marathon. It's so amazing what our bodies can do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous blog, gorgeous outlook :)
    You're right, gratitude is something that can go a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fellow Self-Discovery: Gratitude participant here, just stopping in to read and say hi. :)

    Great post. Isn't it fun/refreshing/reassuring just to think about all the great things we have in our lives? Great-full = grateful! Hehehe.

    ReplyDelete