Monday, October 18, 2010

Friends Don't Let Friends Fat Talk

Mirror Mirror on the wall, whose the fairest of them all??

I was sitting with some friends last week, and a beautiful, strong woman I know confessed that when shopping she hated going to the dressing room, because she hated to see herself in those awful lights, and she was so sick of how "fat" she looked that she left the store empty-handed. I know I myself have been crippled by such self-negativity, but it's heart-breaking to see the same people you admire, and adore, break themselves with such fat talk. Whether its said to ourselves, to our girlfriends, to our families, fat talk is prevalent in our world today.

Fat Talk describes all of the statements made in everyday conversation that reinforce the thin ideal and contribute to women’s dissatisfaction with their bodies. Examples of fat talk include: “I’m so fat,” “Do I look fat in this?” “I need to lose 10 pounds” and “She’s too fat to be wearing that swimsuit.” Also positive statements that reinforce the need to be thin, like “You look great! Have you lost weight?”

The sorority Tri Delta is Hosting a Fat Talk Free Week this week. I encourage you to share the message of ending fat talk through self-expression and social media as well as visiting their Facebook page.

10 million women are dealing with eating disorders in this country, which is more than are suffering from breast cancer. It’s time we take control over our own destinies, our own bodies, and our own inner dialogues. We’re changing the conversation to create a more positive body image for women everywhere!Stop Fat Talk in your life. Comment on someone's personality instead of their body type.

Remember that friends don't let friends fat talk


Jump on board with us and commit to no fat talk all week log. Let's swap out these negative words with some self love! To wrap up Fat Talk Free Week October 24th is also Love Your Body Day- Let's celebrate!

5 comments:

  1. This is so great!
    The very first thing I did when I woke up this morning was fat talk.
    I'm going to try really hard not to this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got back from a really fun weekend with my friends. They are all so beautiful and every time one of them (or myself) opens her mouth w/fat talk, I get SO sad. The kindest thing we can do for ourselves and for each other is to END FAT TALK! Thanks for spreading the sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post & reminder to everyone. I think fat talk needs to end ASAp!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that it can be so heartbreaking to hear words like that come from women (or men) we perceive as strong and beautiful. It goes to show we all have work to do! Thanks for the reminder of Fat Talk Free Week!

    ReplyDelete