By: Stephanie Ferrari, MS, RD
“Take your time. Think a lot. Think of everything you’ve got. For you will still be here tomorrow, but your dreams may not.”
- Cat Stevens singing one of my favorites
Are you comfortable in your body? Whether you answered “yes” or “hardly,” the reality is that we constantly ebb and flow between the answers to this question.
It’s nearly impossible to feel 100%, 100% of the time. So what can you do to build a foundation of comfort in your own skin? Following these tips may help you get there. Think of this as a friendly reminder to treat yourself with the respect you deserve.
1. Stay hydrated. It’s easy to forget to drink enough fluids when you’re on the go. Purchasing a stylish water bottle and filling it up every chance you get is a great way to stick to your hydration goals.
I usually fill up a big mason jar with water on the rocks and keep it by my desk. What do you do to stay hydrated?
Looking for hydration with benefits? Chamomile Tea is magic. Feeling anxious? It will calm your nerves. Have a tummy ache? Triple bag your mug and you might notice a difference. Have a big presentation coming up? Replace your morning coffee with a cup of Chamomile and public speaking won’t seem as formidable. Think I’m full of it? Give it a try and then come talk to me. I’d love to know if this works for you, so email me about it!
2. Choose the right foods. Whether you’re at home or on the road, the best thing you can do for yourself is to stay on your routine eating schedule and choose the right foods to fuel your body. Some of my favorite on-the-go snacks include a piece of handheld fruit with a hard boiled egg, a yogurt parfait with berries and low-fat vanilla yogurt, a fat-free cafe latte, or leftover quinoa with freshly cut veggies.
Whether you’re at a restaurant or cooking at home, go for options that fit the MyPlate model like baked salmon, brown rice, and a garden salad. Ask for a glass of fat-free or low-fat milk instead of soda for your beverage. What’s the point? Let me count the ways! Your digestive system, hair, skin, nails, libido, shape, energy levels, and sleeping patterns (to name some) will thank you for treating yourself right.
This is a picture of one of my most recent favorite dinners: boiled lobster, corn from a local farm, salad, and a Sauvignon blanc called "Lobster Reef"
Obviously, I’m not saying to give up the wine or the dessert. You know me better than that by now! Please feel free to treat yourself with a glass of wine and your favorite dessert once in a while. After all, having a little fun is just as important as eating right and working out.
3. Get moving. Sweat at least once every day. Whether that means you’re working out HARD for 10-15 minutes or going on a nice, long, mind-clearing run, it doesn’t matter. Your body will respond positively and you’ll notice the difference. Need a motivation boost? Sign up for a race or pick an event in your near future that you really want to look your best for. These small milestones will help you stay on track.
Running a race with your friends is a great way to stay motivated (even when it's freezing cold outside..maybe even especially then!)
4. Relax a little- sheesh! As my sister used to say, “Take a Chill Pill!” Seriously. There is nothing SO important that you can’t take a ten minute break to take a few deep breaths. Studies show that stress plays a major role in health issues. Whenever you’re feeling stressed to the max, pause and take a moment to put things into perspective. Maybe you listen to your favorite song or maybe you just take a short walk. Whatever it may be, life is short and being stressed out is not an action that will lead to productive behavior. Take a second, get over it, and move on!
Want more tips on how to feel your best? Send us your requests at email@example.com.
And please share some comments below! Comments from YOU make us feel good about ourselves! :)