Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Surrender and Release

When I was young, I had these angel cards that were sort of like tarot cards, but without all the gloom and doom. When I was feeling down, I would sift through these cards and pull out three randomly, and these three choices were supposed to represent what was happening in my life at the time.

There was always one that stuck out in my mind: the "Surrender and Release" card. The card meant that whatever I was holding on to that was causing me stress or pain needed to be let go.

We tend to bury stress and clutch to the things that cause us emotional harm. I don't know why. Maybe it's because we think we'll have time to deal with it later or maybe it's because we think the longer we let it just sit there, the smaller it will get. But these are false notions.

Stress can manifest it's self in very inconvenient and harmful ways. In fact, look at the word "disease." It is "dis - ease." The connection between stress and disease is a well researched topic and is a connection I firmly believe exists. So whatever is causing you stress right now, surrender and release it. Acknowledge the things in your life that don't seem to be working. Allow yourself to understand their existence, and accept it for what it is. Then, take a deep breath, surrender your stress to the world around you and release whatever it is that's weighing you down.

Be well, and enjoy the day.

1 comment: