Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Sad Ads

Now that I am officially a Registered Dietitian, I've had less study-time on my hands and more free time. (I can't believe I just said that.) Anyway, one of the things I like to do in my free time is read magazines. I know, I know...it's a dirty habit, but I can't help it.

It's a well known fact that when flipping through magazines, surely some images or articles have the potential to offend. But this ad just made me SAD.


Do you really have to use peoples' insecurities to sell your strange drink? Can't we come up with something a little more creative? It's 2011, people!

Look at the ad. It's for their Neuro-Trim and it's telling you you're not perfect unless you drink their neuro-trim, because essentially, you're not trim enough. Bogus, right? They also have Neuro-gasm, Neuro-Sleep, Neuro-Supreme, Neuro-If-you-don't-buy-this-drink-you-will-suffer....ok I made that last one up, but you get the point.

I'm ready for the art of marketing to take a turn for the better. It's time to see positive messages leaving the reader feeling empowered rather than with a large list of attainable, unrealistic goals. It's time to see ads for products or ideas that increase our enjoyment of life, deepen our knowledge on our favorite topic without making us feel like crap first. Do you agree?

Here's an ad I can get behind:
Have you seen any ads lately that you'd like to share? Ones you love? Ones you hate? Tell us about it here or write to us at iamguiltless@gmail.com with a guest post! Have a great day.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you. I think that some regulation needs to be set in place for these types of ads and others promoting "perfect" bodies and beauty.

    ReplyDelete