Monday, August 8, 2011

Balance-Self Discovery Word by Word


I've been inspired by many of the posts started by Nourishing the Soul- Self-Discovery Word by Word Blogger Series. The word for August is Balance.

Who out there is NOT looking to balance their lives more? to spend more time doing the things they love vs the things they need to do? Unbalance is never fun, whether it be too many french fries in one sitting, or over-exercising to the point of injury. But balancing work and pleasure is the balance that most of us think of first when balance comes to mind.

I found this quote by Donald Trump himself, and while he's not my favorite person in the world, i thought it was very true:

If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable. -Donald Trump
I am very lucky to be studying and learning how to practice in a field that I love-nutrition. However there are certainly things about it that I don't love. I personally am not a fan of working in a hospital calculating tube feeds, and don't believe in a reductionist view of nutrition that some of my colleagues take. Timely enough for this post, I am currently working in a situation that encompasses some of my least favorite things. So how am I personally trying to maintain balance with my own true self, and stay happy? I'm continuing my routine, of working out, spending time with the people that matter in my life, making sure to call those I miss who are far away, eating well and taking time to relax, and watch a television show, or play with the puppies. The relaxation part is key, and usually the first thing that I squeeze out when I'm tackling a big to-do list. But my quality of life greatly improves when I bring the balance back.

How do you find balance in your life? Share in this self-discovery!

1 comment: