Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Dish up a healthy body image!

My favorite childhood memories are my family dinners. I loved hearing about everyone's days, learning my family members as they spoke (especially being the youngest of three children), and sneaking little bites of food to the pups under the table. But I also remember that family dinners were a rule. If you were not home for dinner, it was an issue. As I grew into adolescence, I craved independence and wanted to eat dinner on my own time. This was not allowed. And while back then I may have had a slight attitude about it, today, I feel very fortunate that this was the case.

A recently released study showed that teens who eat at least five meals a week with their families are 35 percent less likely to engage in disordered eating than teens who don't. It's amazing what one small tradition can do for a person's well-being and happiness! As if that wasn't enough, here are a few more reasons (supported by good research) why dishing up a healthy meal for the whole family is a good idea:

1. Inspire kids to eat healthier food
2. You maintain the portion control
3. Family dinners mean better grades in school
4. Teens who eat family dinners are less likely to feel depressed
5. I said it once, but it's worth saying again: Family dinners help prevent eating disorders

And just because you live with a roommate and not your family doesn't mean you can't have family dinners! The simple act of cooking, eating, and cleaning together brings joy and stress relief to all.

What's your take on family dinner?

P.S. Laughing is good for the soul. So while we're on the subject of family, please check this out:
http://awkwardfamilyphotos.com/

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if it would be possible, given online social networks, for children in communities with parents that work late to meet up and eat together. I think that would be a fun experiment. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a good idea! You should invent that! Yet another way to use social media to better the world :)

    ReplyDelete