Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Fall Seven Times - Stand up Eight

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! -H.D. Thoreau




By: Stephanie Horton

I never used to make New Year's resolutions. Not because I thought I had nothing to improve upon, absolutely not. But because I was extremely afraid of failing, which would undoubtedly cause even more pain than the characteristic I was initially trying to resolve.

What is it about failure that causes such fear and angst? Is it the the way we feel failure portrays us to others? Or is it the reflection we encounter each morning? Why is failure so scary when in fact it can be so incredibly educational?

For every single achievement, I have made at least one mistake. And with that thought in mind, I am going to allow myself to set a few goals for the New Year without fear of failing. My first and foremost goal is to remain positive about myself and my life through whatever may come my way whether it be luck or struggle. If we let fear of failure take the reigns of our lives, surely only destruction will follow. Failure is inevitable, but defeat is optional.

Be guiltless this year. Make these 365 days ones of risk & triumph, trial & error, and of course, enjoy the days and be well!

What will you do today that scares you a little?


3 comments:

  1. Im a new visitor & follower. And also a boston based blogger.
    Great post, what will I do today that scares me? I will believe in my worth and my strength. Way too often I doubt myself and my capabilities. I have been through so much, have struggled, and continue to fight for what I believe in. I have to believe in myself first, before I can expect anyone else too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!!! I know these is especially true for me and relationships. thanks for giving me the faith to keep on going out there, and trying for it, even if they fail! xoxo

    ReplyDelete