Monday, February 14, 2011

This Valentines Day Fall back in love with YOU

Oh Valentine's Day. A special day to celebrate love, which can be wonderful for starry-eyed lovers, turn singles to romance movies and Ben and Jerrys, and paints the town red and pink. But everyday, everywhere, everyone wants to be loved. More than money, more than beauty, more than “things” many of us are just searching for love. Not to sound cliche, but how can you expect others to love you if you loathe yourself? We seek out pure and unconditional love, but how many of us grant ourselves that gift?

In a stunning new survey done exclusively by Glamour, young women recorded an average of 13 brutal thoughts about their bodies each day (some had as many as 35, 50 or even 100!). 300 women of all sizes from across the country were asked to note every negative or anxious thought they had about their bodies over the course of one full day. The results shocked us—97 percent admitted to having at least one “I hate my body” moment. I have some news for you: obsessing about what you eat or look like doesn’t make you look any better. In fact, it can just make things worse. Much worse.

So this Valentine's day, as you give some love to your mother, brother, sister, lover, share a little bit of love with yourself. It is your right to fall so deeply in love with yourself. Gift yourself the gift of accepting the person you are today, right now in this moment and love him or her, all of you this Valentine’s Day.

Show yourself a little self love this valentines day:

  • Write a list of 5 things you love about you today.
  • Say "Stop" out. loud. next time you have a negative body thought.
  • Give yourself some me time: Take a long bath. Read a book. Go for a walk. Write your future self a message
  • Focus on health, strength, joy and energy rather than weight: Eat and engage in physical activity that makes you feel great rather than tired and drained.
  • Appreciate your body for what it does, rather than how it looks.
Be confident. You are beautiful, sexy and deserving of all the love in the world! Happy Valentine's Day!

1 comment:

  1. Great article! I also covered the important topic of self-love today after reading that article by Glamour that says 97% of women have an "I hate my body" moment each day.

    Being in the fashion industry I was constantly told I'm not good enough and five years later I decided to tell my story about the experience:

    The Most Difficult Post I've Written So Far: My Journey to Self Love

    ReplyDelete