Wednesday, December 15, 2010

YOU-nique

Wherever you go, go with all your heart. ~Confucius

by: Stephanie Horton

I've been doing a lot of thinking about neurotransmitters lately. You know, the chemicals in your brain that communicate to the rest of your body how to function, think, remember, and feel? Without all this synaptic activity and chemicals coursing through our bodies, we would not be who we are. I'm no neurologist, but I wonder if we each have self-specific electricity running through us, making us the unique people we are...different, yet the same, and all beautiful in our own way...
The way we feel when we hear a certain song or the memories certain smells will trigger - this is all different for us. These ideas were initiated in me by something my adviser said during our Dietetic Internship meeting on Monday:"If you have three dietitians in one room, how many different courses of treatment will be proposed? Answer:3." But not every answer would be wrong, and in fact, all the answers could be 100% correct! Everyone has their own process of thought - Our unique problem solving skills and mindful abilities should be celebrated.

So when I was sitting down to think of a topic for this week's post, this is what I thought: Why should we love ourselves? What about ourselves should we love? And then I answered myself: We should love the things in our body and minds that make us who we are. So, in other words, I love my brain and soul and all the people, places, and things that contributed to my own unique memory and thought process. Without these things, I wouldn't be me, and you wouldn't be you.

So this week, please show some appreciation for the ever-so complicated network inside your brain that makes you who you are!

How to do this:
  • Trust yourself: If you are taking finals this week or perhaps starting a new job or project, follow your instincts.
  • Shine on: Don't get caught up in stress or drama. Simply exist as you are, be yourself, and you will shine.
  • Be Mindful: Even if you're simply figuring out what to make for dinner, listen to your inner thoughts.
What's one thing you love about your mind?

1 comment:

  1. This is great, Steph. So true--it's interesting to think about all the neurological things going on inside, and how it's unique to everyone. It's nice to stop and be mindful of that part of ourselves (since we wouldn't BE ourselves without it)! The psych major in me appreciates this post ;)

    ReplyDelete